It’s a sad fact, but the world is not the safest of places for anyone. And often times evil people will target women.
The following tips came across my desk today and I thought that I would share them with you. Though certainly not all inclusive they are some key things that the women we care for should get to know.
If you are wondering why an automotive repair shop in St Petersburg, FL, is concerned about such things, it’s because we take very seriously the maintenance of vehicles. A vehicle improperly maintained can present problems like braking down out in the middle of no where – something I would not want to happen to anyone’s daughter, let alone a daughter of mine.
Simple Steps To Staying Safe
(NAPSI)-If you are a woman who travels alone frequently, there are a few simple steps you can take to help ensure your safety on the road and that could potentially protect you in a dangerous situation.
• Selective parking: Whether it’s an outdoor parking lot or a covered garage, make sure the lot and space you are parking in are well lit. Avoid parking away from other cars and be aware of parking beside commercial vans without glass side panels, where potential attackers could be hiding. When you return to your car, quickly survey your surroundings, including under your vehicle and the backseat.
• Have your keys in hand: Before you leave the store, take the time to find your keys and have them in hand as you walk to your vehicle. Time spent rummaging in your purse when you get to your car may leave you open to a potential attack. If you’re faced with a dangerous situation, the keys in your hand can also be used as a weapon.
• Avoid playing Good Samaritan: While your heart might be in the right place, it’s not a good idea to stop to help someone when you are by yourself, especially in a remote area. It’s best to call 911 and let the dispatcher know the location of the person who is stranded.
• Use your car’s safety and security features: Familiarize yourself with the safety and security features of your car. Does your car have a GPS? Is there a feature that will alert emergency personnel if you are involved in a car accident? Automatic car starters are a good feature because they could save you critical time in a bad situation.
• Keep your vehicle serviced: A poorly maintained vehicle could cause you problems at the worst possible times. Check your tires for wear and rotate them every other oil change. Have your battery checked for corrosion and make sure there’s the appropriate amount of water in it and that it holds a charge. Check your fluids and get your oil changed. Using synthetic oil such as Royal Purple can be a great way to extend the life of your car and save money. Synthetic motor oils can usually run longer than traditional motor oils, depending on the wear and tear you put on your vehicle.
• Have a plan if trouble arises: Do you know what you would do if you were confronted by a potential abductor or carjacker? If you are approached by a person in or around your car, drop any bags, run and make a lot of noise that will draw attention to you. Try to stay in control of the situation. Whatever you do, do not go with the person to another location regardless of promises that you won’t be hurt. If you feel you’re being followed by another car, call 911 and drive to a police station or hospital.
• Learn more: For more information about synthetic motor oil and other automotive products, visit www.royalpurple.com.